Today I Skyped

Since getting my new laptop, the one thing missing in my life has been the use of free internet phone calling.  Not really a big mystery since voice over IP or VOIP for the tech savvy has been around and in place for some time now but there is nothing like video calling someone.

I have my little brother to thank for exposing me to this wonderful way to communicate freely and well free.  It is a little disconcerting to see yourself on the little video screen but I guess that is what those lifesize cardboard cutouts are good for.  Perhaps a caricature of oneself could be so positioned as to give the impression that you are well coiffed and dressed when in actuality you haven't bathed, shaved or dressed in oh so many days. 

Minus the downside of video revealing your inner soul, I must say it was enlightening to talk to my bro just like he was in the room with me instead of actually being 300 or so miles away.  He actually tried to do a 3 way calling thing but his wife wouldn't have any of that.  Smart lady.

Anyway, if you are so equipped and so inclined I highly recommend giving Skype a try because I do believe the future is here, Jetsons style. 

However i am still waiting for my flying car.  A conveyance that can fold into a briefcase would be oh so convenient.  Not to mention Rosy the housemaid robot since no one needs someone to clean the abode more than yours truly. 

Now back to reality, I guess we'll start with video calling and see how we go

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What If?

Reflecting on the Time Since the Signing