Alone is Not Necessarily Lonely

In this time of social distancing and just plain staying home, it must be made clear that although you may be alone, there is no reason at all to be lonely.  Most of us (I included) spent most of our time buried in screens of one sort or another (Phone, Tablet, Computer) to connect with those not co-located before the pandemic.  Honestly, I don't believe I have felt bored for one second since I am isolated at home.  Here there is a myriad of distractions.  From the internet to TV to games and apps on my devices.  So, there are many ways to overcome boredom which honestly I have grown very accustomed to. Not to mention, the really short commute to my home office.  

It is important to stay connected to family, friends and work buddies.  A simple phone call can alleviate the sense of being totally isolated.  I know that I am fortunate that I am isolated with my wife which has its own benefits and liabilities.  Since I am in the habit of going to an office, all of a sudden being home 24/7 has not been easy for either of us but I find that working in another room has helped ease the tensions and running essential errands has also helped.  

I have found it very helpful to maintain the same routine as when I went to work.  At the beginning of this ordeal, I let my team at work know my work hours would be 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM.  This has been very beneficial to set boundaries so I am not working 24 hours a day.  

Before starting work, I go through the same routine of getting dressed.  It seems to get me in a work state of mind.  I have to admit I do miss the commute to work which I used to prepare myself mentally for the day.  This time was very useful to ease into my day.  Now it starts when I check my email and feel the need to immediately deal with the requests.  Framing my day with a shower, shave, getting dressed and changing clothes at the end of the workday has been very beneficial.  

So far, the most difficult part of this experience has been the restricted access to certain businesses and the fact that most restaurants are closing earlier.  We always used drive-throughs and take out since we like to eat at home.  In the beginning, most all businesses could be open just instructing patrons to maintain space.  Now that they have designated certain businesses as essential some of the businesses we enjoyed (book stores, music stores, clothing boutiques, furniture stores, barbershops, beauty salons, spas, etc.) it has constrained our movements somewhat.  However, hopefully, by May 1 everything should be moving in a more positive direction.  Although there may be restrictions until June I choose to be positive.  

I do not believe when this is over that no one will be unphased by this experience.  It is always a good idea to maintain space between us and other people.  Washing hands thoroughly is just good hygiene.  There always were some people who wore face masks and gloves before all of this due to illnesses or just fear of being around strangers.  I know for me I will be very vigilant with my interaction with others no matter how unlikely it will be to catch the virus after we get the all-clear from the medical experts.  I don't believe paranoia is the answer but do know that some people may suffer long term effects after this situation so a bit of patience with others will be most helpful.  It is only through common courtesies that our lives can come back to some form of normalcy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What If?

Today I Skyped