Thanksgiving - Solo Style

Well, here we are at another Thanksgiving. No turkey or ham in sight. No dressing and no cranberry sauce. No family around just me alone to celebrate the one day of the year we set aside to celebrate and give thanks for everything. Normally I would have been at my parents but instead, I am home thinking about what I am missing this year. I called my mother and talked for a long time (I don’t believe our phone calls have ever been less than 30 minutes). This is exactly what I would have been doing had I made the 3 hour trip to their home. Sitting around talking about nothing and everything like every other family on the planet.

I was supposed to spend time with a friends family but that has seemed to fall through. However, I am not disturbed by this but thankful to have this time to reflect on the past year and all everything that I have to be thankful. I have a wonderful, well-paying job which I enjoy. I live in a nice apartment surrounded by friendly neighbors. I belong to a good solid church which I enjoy very much and I stay in contact with family through phone, text, and Facebook. All in all, I have a pretty good life and I thank God every day for everyone in my life.

Do I recommend celebrating this holiday without family? No, if I had my way, I would have been spending it with my family but in a lot of ways, I am spending it with family. They are constantly in my thoughts and I have nothing but affection for all those in my life even though I may not be physically in their presence. For, they are always with me no matter where I may roam.

My wish is that everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and cherish the moments you have with your family because at the end of the day that is all we really have to count on. Money fades away, things break and are replaced by newer things but family is forever. So, as we start the journey through the holiday season I hope we all will cherish this time we have with our family and friends. Make this a special year for all of your family as you go about the business of preparing for the holidays. As for me, I will be with my folks enjoying their company and reveling in the successes of this past year and looking forward to the promise of the new year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What If?

Reflecting on the Time Since the Signing