Simple Joys

Sometimes I wonder if we don't miss the entire point of life by concentrating on achieving or possessing and less time on enjoying and celebrating.  By this I mean we spend so much time trying to achieve success or possess material wealth instead of enjoying what we have and celebrating our lives as we know them right now.

Having goals is admirable but sometimes I think we focus too much on achieving more and should just take a step back every once in a while and enjoy our accomplishments and current position in our respective societies.  For instance, I have several guitars. They are not bad, cheap or unusable by any means but I find myself trolling the Internet for other guitars.  Would I be better off if I had a Rick Turner handmade guitar or the Eric Clapton Signature Fender Stratocaster?  In some ways but I already have 3 guitars which are amazing in their own way (A Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, a PRS Santana SE and an Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric).

I drive a Chevrolet HHR SS but would I be happier with a fancier car? In some ways probably but the point is I enjoy what I have but will always strive for better.  More importantly, most people I know take their health for granted, me included sometimes.  I know way too many people whose health is not a given and would give most anything to be able to go take a walk or go on a cruise.  Unfortunately these options are not realistic for them.

The most overlooked possession I believe most people have is family.  Whether you have 8 kids or just an uncle, you have family.  People who care for you and would be worse off if you weren't around so let's all take some time out from our striving for excellence to remember what is really most important in our lives, while we still have our families, our health, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What If?

Reflecting on the Time Since the Signing