In this time of social distancing and just plain staying home, it must be made clear that although you may be alone, there is no reason at all to be lonely. Most of us (I included) spent most of our time buried in screens of one sort or another (Phone, Tablet, Computer) to connect with those not co-located before the pandemic. Honestly, I don't believe I have felt bored for one second since I am isolated at home. Here there is a myriad of distractions. From the internet to TV to games and apps on my devices. So, there are many ways to overcome boredom which honestly I have grown very accustomed to. Not to mention, the really short commute to my home office. It is important to stay connected to family, friends and work buddies. A simple phone call can alleviate the sense of being totally isolated. I know that I am fortunate that I am isolated with my wife which has its own benefits and liabilities. Since I am in the habit of going to...
As I prepare to attend the comic styling's of one Gary Owen this weekend at the Addison Improv outside of Dallas, TX, I am drawn to the ever present question, what is so entertaining about stand up comedy? Gary Owen has a take that I can so relate to since we are both from humble beginnings and married to women of a more favorable complexion. His routine about going to a child's baptism at an African-American church is so on point. My wife's cousin's little boy was being baptized and I kid you not we were there for 3 full hours and yes there was a step team to boot. On the regular, I will binge watch some of my favorite stand ups from the days of yore on YouTube. Among my favorites are Steven Wright (deadpan at it's best) Sam Kinison (snort a line and you too can wail like a banshee) Robin Williams (tragic but oh so funny) Richard Pryor (remembering sneaking a listen to him back in the 70's as a kid) Chris Rock (just a funny dude with ...
Over the last year, we were informed that the world would end on December 21, 2012, due to the Mayan calendar ending on that day. Well, nothing traumatic happened to the world at large so the Mayan calendar had no mystical meaning and served no other purpose than to make some people rich from selling books about the end of the world and expounding on Mayan history. So I suppose this exercise did serve the purpose of bringing people together (at least those that bought into this idea) who were preparing not to be here this morning. Throughout the ages and several times in my lifetime, someone or some group has come out to say the world is going to end on such and such a day. Oh, they always have a good explanation on why this particular day is going to be the end of everything as we know it but alas the disaster and calamity never occur. But what if the world had ended yesterday? What would be different? How would we prepare for such an event? Most of us would be praying maybe calling...
Comments
Post a Comment